Oops I spilled my coffee! Don’t panic. Often times you can get out coffee spills with a simple home remedy without having to bring in a professional. Or at least addressing it right away will make it easier for a professional to get it out if your approach doesn’t completely take care of the stain.
What you will need for the home remedy:
Towels or rags (preferably white)
If the coffee was just spilled, follow this procedure:
- Use a white towel or rag and blot the area of the spill. Don’t rub or wipe the spill as this could cause the stain to spread and it could damage the carpet fibers.
- Continue blotting until no more coffee is absorbed. Change towels as needed.
- **The next steps are where you will begin if the stain is older and already dry.
- Pour some vinegar onto the spill. (Some might say to cut the vinegar with water, but I would suggest full strength.)
- Sprinkle some baking soda onto the stain. This will cause a reaction and it will begin to bubble. Don’t worry – This is what we want to see. The coffee will be absorbed into the baking soda.
- Use a damp cloth or sponge and blot up the stain. Make sure that the cloth is just damp. It does not need to be overly wet.
- Let it dry and then vacuum up the remains.
- It may be necessary to use the above procedure a second time.
If the spill is still visible after trying the above home remedy, it’s time to call in a professional who will know how to get rid of the stain. Either way, a coffee spill on carpet is not the end of the world if you have the right reaction!